CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Yanked From Glory

Has anybody besides me ever considered Tabitha? She was the woman in the Bible (can't remember which book at the moment, sorry) that was brought back to life by Peter, I believe. I remember hearing that story as a child and thinking, "Oh, cool! She died and got to come back!" But a few years ago I reread that story, and it made me pause and think. If I had been Tabitha, my first act on returning to my body would be to scratch Peter's eyes out. What was he thinking? She was a Christian, that much we know. This was after the death of Jesus. We all know where Tabitha went. She went home, to her true home. How would you like to be in heaven, walking with the savior and finally away from all of the sorrow and pain of earth, and then be brought back???? What possible good would that be? You would spend the rest of your life, remembering what you had left and longing to go back there. That is, unless God performed some kind of cosmic mind-wipe so that she could return to her body. That makes sense, I suppose. But can you imagine? You could never go to market, without being "that lady that died." You'd be a zombie! A divine zombie, granted, but sheesh. Anyway, that's something my restless mind has been pondering on all morning. What kind of life would it be, and how could being brought back from the dead be to the glorification of the Lord? We're watching "Barabbas" in my film class, and it was one of the scenes there that made me think on this. One of the women in the movie, a lovely woman named Rachel, was accused of blasphemy and was stoned. She went quite willingly to her death, and the beauty of the light on her face astounded me. She knew where she was going, and she wasn't afraid. Tabitha was already there, and was ripped back. I'd love to ask Jesus about that someday.

1 comments:

oc said...

You know, I said this in Sunday School not long ago. I said that if I was Tabitha, I would have slapped Peter silly. The class just looked at me as if I said something wrong. Maybe I did, but I was being honest.
To be yanked from Glory, from knowing the warmth and absolute love of the Father and to be jerked back in to the cold and ruthless world, yep, I would have pummeled Peter. And I don't know when and if I would have stopped.

Just sayin'.
oc.