CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

Imaginary Lands

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create." That quote was written by my dear Albert Einstein....and I completely agree. What use is the world without imagination? Therefore, I am deeply thankful for it. The imagination has always been fascinating to me, probably because I use mine so much. I was always an inventive child, coming up with weird games and wild stories. Isn't it funny how you return to the things you loved as a child when you're an adult? I went through periods as a child when I alternately wanted to be a nurse, a librarian, a teacher...but now I just want to write like I did when I was little. I firmly believe that my imagination kept my soul alive after my dad left. All I had to do was close my eyes, and I would be somewhere else-usually either in Middle Earth, or on the Starship Enterprise. Later, I added the mansion of the X-Men and Damar to my worlds. You could be looking at me and speaking to me, and I would be completely somewhere else. This did prove to be somewhat detrimental to my social skills...but thankfully I (very) eventually learned how to turn my imagination on and off. Now I listen to music a lot to jump-start my imagination. It's amazing how much it helps to listen to an artist, say Josh Groban, and be able to envision a character I'm developing. I certainly don't get as many looks as I did when my routine involved staring blankly into space. Imagination seems like it should be superfluous-I suppose that some stunted individuals have even wondered why God placed such a mechanism in His creations. But how can we live without it? How can mankind exist the daily hits of normal life without having some sort of fantasy to escape to? Our imaginations refresh us, and they make life more than just a drudgery. Imagination makes the world of Narnia accessible to more people than just the Pevensie bunch. Imagination is behind the works of all great artists. How dull a place our world would be without that superfluous mechanism. Even though mine can be a little overactive sometimes, still, I thank the Lord for it. Now go imagine yourself in a beautiful place, while I go to write a chapter of my story.

1 comments:

Bobby said...

Imagination may be more important than you might think, sis. In my tkd federation, our philosophy begins with imagination. The more technical speech I won't bore you with. The more practical translation, though: "At the start of philosophical development, students must use their imaginations to set goals beyond current limitations. This in turn strengthens their belief systems to the point where specific goals are possible and attainable." Without imagination, nothing would be invented or created.