CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 12, 2007

Merry's Song

Here are the results of my boredom in Dr. Wiggles' class. Occasionally, something of worth is accomplished, whether by accident or not. :D Of course, if Wiggles knew that such literary progress were being made, he'd probably forbid it, the old tyrant. Curse him. The idea just hit me, and I went with it. This is still a little rough, but it's done enough for everyone to get the idea. It's titled "Merry's Song", for the hobbit character in The Lord of the Rings. I tried really hard to capture both his strength and his confusion. I hope I suceeded somewhat. I hope you enjoy it! Verse 1:
I don’t want to leave my home.
Cast into the wild, compelled to roam.
But how can I abandon my friends?
Refuse to walk the path with no end?

So I will put on a brave face
And give everything I have to this great race.
I feel so small, what can I hope to do
To change this world and make everything new?

Chorus:
So I will stride into the gathering dark
I will walk this path and make my mark.
All I need is the strength to strike
A blow for my home, my friends, my life.

I may be gone, but I am not lost
I want to do my share, whate’er the cost.
The dawn is behind me, but it I can’t see
Until I complete the journey before me.

Verse 2:
He stands so tall, so strong and dark.
She stands so fair, so white and stark.
I cower in the dirt in-between.
What can I do? What does it mean?

I’m so tired, so depressed and confused
There are two paths, only one can I choose.
Do I let her die alone? Do I stand beside her?
This is my chance, this dark I can hinder.

Chorus

Verse 3:
I’m home again, and nothing’s the same.
They cheer when I pass, call me “ruffian’s bane.”
They want me to stride about, singing a song.
It’s a part I enjoy, and act all day long.

Sometimes I ponder on what is gone forever
My innocence is lost, eternally severed.
My friend is wounded at heart and in pain.
Where shall he rest? Nothing’s the same.

Where shall the years take me, to warmth or to cold?
Will I inspire others to stand? Will my part in this tale be told?