CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Tell me, why'd you have to go and make things so complicated?

OK, so I'm gonna give a brief spiel on my view of a tough subject, and then I'll release you all back into the wild with no harm done to your psyches, I promise. This subject is something that I've given a fair amount of thought about, so read carefully, please. Why the heck do people have to be so darn serious when it comes to movies? Yes, we all enjoy the deeply analytical films, where we can observes the motifs and characterizations in order to define the deeper meaning within the story. But does that take away from the enjoyment of sheer popcorn movies? Certainly not! Although while not being works of any great philosophy, I have come here today to tell you all that I think the two Fantastic Four movies completely rock. There's nothing more enjoyable than watching a bunch of geeky scientists kick butt and take names, including the name of some general who thinks he's all that. I giggled so hard when Reed totally put General Hager in his place by saying, "No, I didn't play football. I stayed in there like the good little nerd. And now, fifteen years later, I'm one of the greatest minds of the century and I'm engaged to the hottest woman on the planet. Oh, and the guy who was quarterback in high school is now asking for my help." Rock on! These heroes aren't angst ridden, either, like a lot of the "heroes" that we have been forced to watch lately. (Come on, you can't tell me that Wolverine isn't as annoying to you as he is to me sometimes.) In these movies, you don't have to suffer through any "I'm-16-and-I-hate-my-father" syndromes, or "Isn't my life crappy, I think I'm gonna go blow some stuff up to make myself feel better" diseases. And there are certainly no "I need to avenge the death of some member of my family that I never really appreciated in life, so now I feel guilty" complexes! Instead, the audience is presented with four people who really don't have any hidden agendas: Reed Richards, Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm, the first two being scientists and the last two being pilots that have flown for freaking Nasa! They all get zapped in some completely whacked out space storm, and get awesome powers that they have to figure out how to use (with hilarious results). To defeat the super villains in these movies, though, the team has to use more than just laser vision and pummeling their collective way through walls. No, these guys are actually, gasp! Smart! They represent all nerds everywhere, a group that I am proud to be apart of. I understand that y'all really don't want to read a movie review, but I just felt like venting some spleen on the pseudo-intellectuals that put this move down because it's trite or stupid. Don't underestimate the power of 90 minutes of sheer fun, hilarity, and yes, relaxation. Push in the dvd player, grab the sour patch kids and just enjoy the ride without all of the forehead-puckering mannerisms that generally accompany trying to understand what that particular tree represents to the mind of the director.

0 comments: