CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 22, 2007

Dona Nobis Pacem (so don't hit me, please)

It is my regret to inform you all that I think my foray into the Presbyterian Church is over. Before you get up in arms about this, let me explain myself. I have loved attending Riveroaks Reformed Presbyterian Church-the pastor is marvelous, the music gorgeous, and the people kind. However, I have several reasons for leaving the church. 1.) I miss worshiping with my family, particularly my mom. I miss singing with her, and learning with her. I miss singing Baptist hymns! I know, it's pathetic. But I worship through music, and having to sing unfamiliar songs over and over again left me cold. 2.) As much as I loved singing in the choir at Riveroaks, I was lonely. Nobody there was my age, and while I've always interacted better with adults rather than people my age, I got a little tired of sitting in the corner. I can imagine most of you staring at your screen in wonderment as you try to see me sitting quietly in a corner, but yes. I must assure you that it is true. 3.) To be honest, I think part of the reason I stopped going with my mom to church was that I was still dealing with the death of our former pastor. It's weird-I still miss him so much. It was a comfort to look up at the pulpit and know that the man standing there knew you, knew your problems, and loved you bunches. It was hard to see Bro. Sam, admirable as he is, in Bro. Davy's place. It won't be easy now, but I'm going to try and deal with it head on. Besides, I don't think I'll be "that weird homescooled girl" any longer. Ahh, college. The great equalizer. 4.) Finally, I must place a disclaimer with this last reason. I have no problem with people who believe in things other than me. I have no difficulty in accepting other people's points of view. But while Riveroaks was the closest thing to a Baptist church as you'll ever hope to find, I just couldn't condone some of their religious practices. While I have no problem with people that practice it, I simply don't believe in infant baptism, among other things. I just couldn't reconcile myself to that, no matter how hard I tried. Thanks, Mom, for passing on mule-headedness. Sigh. Well, I'd like to thank anyone that's been praying for me. These past few months have definitely been a growing time, as I've tried to figure out what I believe and why. I just hope now that I'm on the path that God wants me to be. Please keep me and my family in your prayers. Blessings!

2 comments:

concernedSBCer said...

Katie, I have never been more proud of you. You searched, tried, discovered, got out of your comfort zone, and have behaved as an adult. A mature, Godly adult.

I miss Bro. Davy too; I always will. But God still has much to say to us at Covenant, and there are people at Covenant that care about you, truly care. You have work to do, much to share, much to give. Keep searching for how/where/what God would have you do.

I love you. Bunches.

Mom

oc said...

Daily praying for you and yours.