CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 15, 2007

Insignificance

So, I've joined the choir at the church I'm currently attending, Riveroaks Reformed Presbyterian. I want it made clear that I still consider myself a Baptist at heart-I just like the worship style better at this church. I'm enjoying singing with the choir, but God is teaching me humility through it. For example, at HiS choir, you could have called me the first chair alto. I was the unofficial leader, and I enjoyed the role. It was easy for me-all I had to do was a little sight-reading and sing really loudly, and my place was secure. Not so with this choir. Most of the people in there are in their fifties, and they've been singing in church choirs all their lives. They can all sight-read really well, and they can all singing beautifully. Not only do I not have to carry the section, but I'm having to work really hard to keep up. Sometimes I feel like a magpie in their company, they're all so much better than me. I bring my music home every week, and I attempt to practice a couple times a week, if not every day. I can say that my sight-reading has gotten exponentially better, but a new curve ball got thrown at me yesterday. Yes, my friends, the ultimate. I have to sing in Latin. I've only sung in Latin one before, and then it was only one phrase, "Dona Nobis Pacem." Fairly simply and straightforward, right? Right. However, this piece "O Magnum Mysterium" is full of hard words and never stops changing. Nothing is pronounced the way is looks-for example, "magnum" is pronounced something like "manyum." Ugh. Anyway, I do encourage all of you to upgrade whenever you get too comfortable with where you are-I'm learning that I'm not nearly as good as I thought as I was, but I'm also learning how to get better. God works in everything. I may update again tonight.....Blessings!

1 comments:

Halcyon said...

"I'm learning that I'm not nearly as good as I thought as I was"

Wow, nice use of diction. That Latin crap will really screw you up.