CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 29, 2008

Sanctification

Yesterday I was just turning off my car when I heard a few seconds of the radio. Unfortunately, you have to have the radio turned to this super sappy Christian station in order to play my ipod adapter, so I usually have to suffer through a few seconds of some sort of misery until I can get Steven Curtis Chapman or the Goo Goo Dolls going. However, I almost wish I had suffered through a few more minutes of misery in this case. It was too classic an opportunity for mockery to pass up lightly. I caught just a few seconds of a guy with this high, thank-God-I'm-free-at-last type voice, saying, "Since my sanctification, I haven't sinned in two years!" ???????? What the heck? I'm stunned long enough to hear the announcer say, "Other than the lie you just told" before I turned off the car and went inside, still in a state of not sanctification, but stupefaction. Also, a certain amount of anger at the guy's hypocrisy. Way to hit it into left field, Joe. Some poor bum is gonna hear that and think that religion is definitely not for a goof-up like him. Once I got inside, I asked Jon, in his infinite wisdom, to translate what in the world the guy meant by the grand and glorious sanctification. He explained that some people believe that once they are saved, there's some sort of super-saving process, in which you lose all desire to sin again. Other than the fact that this is all completely bogus in my humble (don't laugh) opinion, I don't think that the guy I heard on the radio is really the appropriate poster child for sanctification. For starters, the minute he gave his whole two years spiel, my evil mind immediately superimposed this commercial on top of his: "Since I've been taking essence of Chinese sea grass and extract of pig manure, I haven't gained a single ounce of weight! Thanks, Ching Chang Poop!" (insert stupid smile, with the light bouncing off gleaming white teeth). Seriously, the dude sounded like the computer off of the Enterprise: "All temptations working within normal parameters. No anomalies detected. Amen." Majel Barrett would have a stroke. I think I need to go take a shower over how dirty I feel since that glorious individual sullied up my religion. Oh, and happiness-my computer came in! Woot!

0 comments: