CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 30, 2009

Spaces

For the past couple of years now, I've been on a never ending search to write a poem or song lyrics that could qualify as abstract. I like abstract pieces, but I've never been able to create one of my own. A few have come close, but never quite there.


So why, then, was I almost asleep last night and something hit me? I'm not sure if it's abstract, but it's on that same path.

Yeah. And so it goes...

Chorus:

One step up this stream

And I will topple off the beam

A few places down from blue is green

Inches are miles, only one step between.

 

Verse 1:

What’s the difference between a crack and a canyon?

Blue skies are so close to gray

A child gets older day by day

One day a babe, the next day a man.

A clock ticks by minutes, so small yet so great

A frail voice speaks and then screams and sings

How many straws before the back breaks?

A fuse burns quietly until it explodes.

 

Chorus:

One step up this stream

And I will topple off the beam

A few places down from blue is green

Inches are miles with only one step between.

 

Verse 2:

A gap between teeth decides beauty and worth

An acorn contains the promise of grandeur

A single short hour holds both death and birth

Only words come between shyness and candor.

So many little things that become more than they are

Inches are miles, only one step between

What will I say, what will I do,

What tiny thing will push you away?

2 comments:

Halcyon said...

WOW.

How did you...DO that? It sounds like some of my favorite off-brand bands should be singing that (MuteMath, Future of Forestry, Switchfoot, etc.).

Katie, seriously (and this is coming from me): that is without a doubt the BEST thing you have ever written (on this blog). Seriously. It gave me joy! 8^D

Jessica Laura Washington said...

So...uhhh...Jon liked it. :)

"A frail voice speaks and then screams and sings"

My favorite line. I love you!