CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Dear Crichton...

So today was...ahem....interesting. 


All was well in my world, initially. I was getting ready to head out to school when I noticed my friend Scribbles' status on facebook, saying that she was looking for a school to which she could transfer. I was immediately concerned and wrote her, asking if everything was okay. I thought maybe there was an illness in the family or financial difficulties in her life, and I wanted to see if I could help somehow. 

Imagine my surprise when she informs me that my school is closing after this semester. 

Yes, you read that correctly. Closing. 

The day program is finite, vamoose, gone beyond recall. It was decided on Monday, the faculty and staff was informed last night, and it was announced at chapel this morning to the students, with the students being told that all scholarships would not be honored after this semester. 

Need I remind you folks that I'm a second semester junior? Need I remind you that most schools do not accept senior transfers? And need I further remind you that the Powers or Dolts That Be decided to announce all this three days after the add/drop period for the U of M?

Katie was not a happy camper. That's probably the biggest understatement to have yet been uttered since the day that somebody said that Goliath was largely misunderstood; in actuality, he was a warm and fuzzy chap that slept with teddy bears and drank pina coladas with his lunches of brie and caviar and spent his weekends helping old ladies cross the street without getting mauled by all the other brutish Philistines. 

So anyway, I've composed a letter, by which I mean that I'm writing it off the top of my head, of what I would say to the Board and our venerable and nasty excuse for a president if I had the chance. 

Dear Crichton Board, President, and all those that it may concern,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the three years I've had at Crichton College. I know without a shadow of a doubt that Crichton was the best place for me to be, where God wanted me to be. I am not remotely the same person I was when I first came to Crichton, and while not all of my experiences there have been positive, they have all worked to make me into a better person and a better Christian. The professors are absolutely the best in the business, bar none. I cannot praise them enough. They are more than my mentors -- they're my friends.

That being said, I'm very, very, justifiably angry at the events that occurred today for several reasons. It puts me into a bad situation, personally. You didn't give me enough warning to transfer to another school, and most schools don't accept senior transfers. Where does that leave me? In the toilet, my friends. I'm either stuck hoping that the University of Memphis or Union lets me in, or that I can somehow finish out my degree with night courses at the shell of what Crichton used to be. Yes, spending my last year of college at a ghost ship with all my professors gone is exactly the kind of experience I need.

But as much as I hate what you've done to me, I hate even more what you've done to my school. It was such a special place, and now it's gone forever. Crichton used to be a haven of learning, of friendship, and even, God forbid, true diversity. This diversity was the kind that wasn't forced, but was natural and easy because you honestly didn't care about the color of peoples' skin so long as they were lovers of knowledge. It was when you started questioning that easy friendship that the racial tension broke out like a poison ivy rash. I had never in my life experienced prejudice until my sophomore year of college, and I'm white. I was judged on sight because of what I am, for things that I didn't do. How is that fair? How is that any different from the segregation of the 1960's? It isn't; you just inflamed racial tensions until you couldn't see what you were doing to your students. Instead of building them up and teaching them of higher things, you tore them down. You failed us all.

That's only one issue.

Why, may I ask, if the school was in such bad financial straits, were four new flat screen TVs and a new Foosball table put in the student center, rather than, I don't know, fixing the stupid leaking roof? As my friend Aubrey said, it was like offering a cancer patient a face lift.

Why were foreign athletes brought in at huge cost to the school, to a liberal arts school, and the Honors program allowed to die? What did we need with a huge athletic program? It's not like we were going to play during March Madness. When, of course, said athletes failed out in two semesters anyway, despite the required, unpaid hours of tutoring that the Honors students were forced to give them. Why were good professors dismissed and replaced with substandard and racist adjuncts? 

These problems didn't happen all at once. They've been allowed to build and fester for several years now, and have gone largely unchecked. I believe that the downhill tumble started when the school stopped being a school and became a badly organized, financially unsound mission. Your focus became the inner city of Memphis rather than maintaining the highest standards of education that had previously been your ideal. 

And my favorite part of this whole Carthage-esque disaster, salt sewn in the fields and all, is that we tried to tell you. I took every survey that ever came through my email account, and I told you my concerns. But you didn't trust us, or simply didn't take the time to listen to us. The school's administration acted like the students were a problem, rather than the reason that we were there in the first place. I never felt like my complaints and comments were addressed in a respectful manner by anyone other than the professors. We were just flies in the daily ointment, a nuisance instead of an individual seeking self-improvement. As an example of this treatment of the students, I guess I can refer to the financial aid office as a symbol of all that was wrong. The financial aid office was affectionately referred to as "Hell" by many of us, due to its disorganized nature and its tendency to cause students to slip into its depths, never to see the light of day again. We tried to tell you in every way possible, but we were not heard. We were ignored, and I have no qualms in saying I told you so now.

Shame on you. 

Shame on you for forcing us into this position. 

Shame on you for taking all the joy out of my senior year. 

Shame on you for sending countless people into financial difficulty because they won't have jobs. 

Shame on you for not listening to your students and to God, and for losing sight of the mission statement of our school. 

Shame on you for taking away something I love because you couldn't be responsible with what you had been given. 

Shame. 

Signed,
Kaitlin Johnson

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so, so sorry to hear this! I wish you would send them that letter...

firebirdsinger said...

It needs a little editing, but that's the general idea. Thank you for your sympathy, Gill.

Anonymous said...

No, it needs no editing. Send it.

Bobby said...

I'm with D. Send it as is.

firebirdsinger said...

I've submitted this letter to the Commercial Appeal. We don't get the paper, so y'all yell if you see it. I doubt it'll get printed, but at least I've done something. I tweaked it a bit -- here's what I submitted.

Dear Crichton Board, President Lloyd, and all those that it may concern,

First of all, I would like to thank you for the three years I've had at Crichton College. I know without a shadow of a doubt that Crichton was the best place for me to be, where God wanted me to be at this time in my life. I am not remotely the same person I was when I first came to Crichton, and while not all of my experiences there have been positive, they have all worked to make me into a better person and a better Christian. The professors are absolutely the best in the business, bar none. I cannot praise them enough. They are more than my mentors -- they're my friends.

That being said, I'm very, very, justifiably angry at the events that occurred January 20 for several reasons. It puts me into my own personal version of the Slough of Despond. You didn't give me enough warning time to transfer to another school, and most schools don't accept senior transfers. Even if another school would accept me, there would be no way that I could afford the tuition without incurring massive debt that would take me years to repay. I had been attending Crichton under a full Honors scholarship, and I come from a single parent home.

Where does that leave me, then? In the toilet, my friends. I'm either stuck hoping that the University of Memphis or Union University accepts me, or that I can somehow finish out my English degree with night courses at the shell of what Crichton used to be. Yes, spending my last year of college at a ghost ship with all my professors and friends gone is exactly the kind of experience for which I yearned night and day.

But as much as I hate what you've done to me, I hate even more what you've done to my school. It was such a special place, and now it's gone forever. Crichton used to be a haven of learning, of friendship, and even, God forbid, true diversity. This diversity was the kind that wasn't forced, but was natural and easy because you honestly didn't care about the color of peoples' skin so long as they were lovers of knowledge. That was a rare thing to find, and now it's all been cast on the wind.

Why, may I ask, if the school was in such bad financial straits, were four new flat screen TVs and a new Foosball table put in the student center, rather than, I don't know, fixing the stupid leaking roof? As my friend Aubrey said, it was like offering a cancer patient a face lift.

Why were foreign athletes brought in at huge cost to the school, to a liberal arts school, mind you, and the Honors program allowed and encouraged to die? What did we need with a huge athletic program at Crichton? It's not like our basketball team was going to play during March Madness. When, of course, said athletes failed out in two semesters anyway, despite the required, unpaid hours of tutoring that the Honors students were forced to give them. That was a splendid use of school funds, to be sure.

Why were good professors dismissed and replaced with substandard and racist adjuncts? Was it that difficult to provide teachers that actually enjoyed teaching, rather than automatons that couldn't form a coherent sentence outside of a PowerPoint presentation?

These problems didn't happen all at once. They've been allowed to build and fester for several years now, and have gone largely unchecked. I believe that the downhill tumble started when the school stopped being a school and became a badly organized, financially unsound mission. Your focus became the inner city of Memphis rather than maintaining the high standards of education that had previously been your ideal.

And my favorite part of this whole Carthage-esque disaster, salt sown in the fields and all, is that we tried to tell you. I took every survey that ever came through my email account, and I told you my concerns whenever asked in chapel forums. I wasn't the only one to do so, either. It seems that you didn't trust us, or simply didn't take the time to listen to us. The school's administration acted like the students were a problem, rather than the reason that we were all there in the first place. I never felt like my complaints and comments were addressed in a respectful manner by anyone other than the professors. We were just flies in the daily ointment, a collective of nuisances instead of individuals seeking self-improvement. As an example of this heinous treatment of the students, I can refer to Crichton's financial aid office as a symbol of all that was wrong with the institution. The financial aid office was affectionately referred to as "Hell" by many of us, due to its disorganized nature and its tendency to cause students to slip into its depths, never to see the light of day again. We tried to tell you in every way possible, but we were not heard. We were ignored, and I have no qualms in saying "I told you so" now.

Shame on you.

Shame on you for forcing us into this position. Shame on you for taking all the joy out of my senior year. Shame on you for sending countless people into financial difficulty because they won't have jobs. Shame on you for not listening to your students and to God, and for losing sight of the mission statement of our school. Shame on you for taking away something I love because you couldn't be responsible with what you had been given.

Shame.

Signed,
Kaitlin Johnson

CES said...

right on! go Katie!

adayinthelife said...

Katie-I found your blog as a result of googling to see news reports about it. I have to agree and think that the saddes part of all of this was the administration's refusal to listen to the students. We tried to tell them three years ago there was a problem. Many of us even tried to talk directly to the President of the college, who never took us seriously. I am so sad that we were right. I hoped and prayed that maybe I was wrong, maybe he would be right and the school would be better off for it. And I was wrong. Even having graduated, it breaks my heart. The person that I am today is because of that college, because of those professors that survived the firings, because of those staff members that loved me even when I wasn't loveable, because of the friends that I made that held me accountable and inspired me to be the best Becky I could be. We all know what happened stinks. Every time I think about it I feel like crying. Crichton was my home, my family, my foundation, my shelter, everything I could rely on for so long, and now it's leaving. I feel like my parents' house has burned down. I can't completely understand what you're going through because I'm not in the same situation you're in, but I can say I do feel sad and angry over it as well. God will make good of this, as He does of all things. The hard part for us I think is going to be continuing to remember that and having faith that it will be OK, no matter what happens.

Becky Hupf

Smith said...

Well spoken, Katie. You're at the eye of the storm right now, the place where you can most easily see all the misguided messiah complex that Crichton poorly implemented in order to reach the inner city at the expense of the people who actually paid in their time and money to learn in (at least relatively) Christian environment. That being said, as a relative outsider (at least now that I no longer attend the school), even I can't help but echo "I told you so." It seems it was only a matter of time before compromising not only the academic integrity of the college as well as its spiritual foundation would prove Crichton's undoing. Hopefully your letter will see print in the Commercial Appeal. I'll be praying for you and Shelby and Evan and the rest of the guys and girls and faculty at Crichton. It's pretty dispairing to see so many people displaced from their spiritual and academic home in such a fashion.