CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12, 2009

Hey, ho, to the washer I go...

Well, the first day of school is officially over. 


I laughed. 

I cried. 

And I'm totally pulling your leg. 

This is the first semester that I haven't had a nine o'clock class, which is really nice. I got up at a reasonable time this morning, and made it to school an hour and a half early, since I knew I needed to finish getting my independent study set up. It was so great to see my friends and professors and my boss again! My school has its issues....a lot of issues....a Mary Poppins-esque carpetbag of issues...but I'm still really happy there most of the time. I know where I'm going, I know what's expected of me, and I have freedom within the form.  The only moment of drama that I had was when the office of academic affairs almost didn't accept my independent study form because they needed a syllabus with it. Thankfully, I put my girlish wiles to work (which means I looked pathetic and confused intentionally) and they unbent a little and let me through the red tape. Good thing, too, I hate the color red when it's not associated with a hair color. 

So I only ended up having one class today, and it was great! On Monday and Wednesday I have Dr. Jenkins' "Authors of Christian Commitment" class, and it's really small. Just me, Shelby, Rachel B., Aubrey, Christina, and one other older lady that I felt sorry for, but she fit in fairly well with us. Poor Dr. Jenkins....he's going to be dealing with a lot of estrogen in this class! Puts me back to my Abnormal Psychology class with Dr. Chaney (fabulous class) and it, too, was made up exclusively of females. He was describing a personality disorder, and said, "...which is abbreviated to PDS....not PMS, ladies..." I just about died laughing. I consider Dr. Chaney to be a surrogate grandfather, and just hearing him say that was hysterical. 

Anyway, I came home, ate lunch, and then started on The Chore. It is the Job that never ends...yes, it goes on and on my friends... some people started washing without knowing what it was, and so on it continued to be done just because...anyway, you get the idea. 

What is this job, you may ask? Well, in case the upper case letters haven't already caught your eye, I'm talking about: LAUNDRY! 

I've become the family's laundry fairy since it's an infinitely lesser evil than doing the dishes, and I actually don't mind doing it. It's a fulfilling job to a degree, except for the fact that it's so circuitous. You get it all done one day and you're feeling absurdly proud of yourself and experiencing a warm fuzzy feeling because you've made life easier for your family, and then the next morning, THERE IT IS AGAIN! It's like a cockroach...it just never dies! I believe there's a myth about a monster that had a lot of heads, and for every head you cut off, another one grew. 

Yeah, laundry's like that. 

It even has a patron saint! Actually, it has several, but my favorite is Saint Veronica. She's the one that wiped Jesus' face when He was on the way to Golgotha. Now, really, if laundry has a patron saint, the job must be fraught with peril! I should have a lot of respect for being Bold enough and having enough Courage of Conviction to continue on with such a thankless, peril-fraught job. Or it could be that I'm trying to elevate myself when in reality I'm just doing a mundane task that everyone else on the planet, besides Jordan, knows how to do. 

I would say more, but the next load is ready to be switched....I still have to put on my armor, grab a dragon, and hide the dwarfs in my backpack so that they won't be eaten. So much to do, so little time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...a mundane task that everyone else on the planet, besides Jordan, knows how to do."

Okay, that got me. I was giggling already, but this particular line caused me to snort. Well done :)

Bobby said...

"NOW what is she doing?! It's as if she can't trust us to look after ourselves!"

"I know! I was just relaxing into my tanning chair under the lamp when she up and grabs everyone on leave and shoves us back into the pack!"

"I was wondering what you did with your off-time. I like to thread-rappel down the side of the bed to the floor. They've got a nice little marble-hockey league going down there."

"Yeah, I passed over it on my toothpick-and-tissue-paper hang-glider. Maybe I'll join you the next time she lets us out for air."