CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm Dreaming of A White Easter

I'm sitting in the library up at school at the moment, snuggled on my favorite couch. Outside the window beside me, a veritable shower of snow is falling, falling, falling...and melting on the ground. We finally get snow, and the ground is too warm for it to stick! God definitely has a sense of humor. Still, it's very beautiful. I'm reminded of a line in a poem by Robert Frost: nothing gold can stay. Snow isn't gold in color, but it is gold in essence. It falls down and purifies the ugly detritus of leaves and dirt that the winter showers have left on the ground, and it brings water to a thirsty soil. What is more, it brings joy to my heart. We don't get snow very often here, and it is therefore highly prized. Snow is all about renewal, for without the moisture that it brings, the spring flowers would die. Without the cold it announces, Memphis would be overrun with bugs. It kills the pollens and other nuisances that fly around. Evan, Jon and I ran outside for a while and pretended to play. It reminds me of other snowy days, when my siblings and I would go outside and build the most pathetic snowmen possible, because there was never enough to build a proper snowman. But snow melts. Therefore, nothing gold can stay.

0 comments: