CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 14, 2008

Non Sequitur

It has been confirmed: I have pathetically small hands/fingers. I've always suspected this to be true, but now that it has been verified by a professional, at least my soul can rest.


Okay, so I'm being melodramatic. Which is kinda fun, so deal with it. I went to the jewelers today to get some of my rings sized. Since I've lost so much weight, none of my rings fit anymore and that's enormously sad. My life lacks lustre without my rings... *fake laugh* The jeweler said that the rings were already small to begin with...oh, well. They may be small little sausages, but they can sure play Fur Elise! They're like the little fingers that could or something. You have these small fingers and try to play Moonlight Sonata. Go on, I dare you. 

Who knew that shoe boxes could contain so much? It's that time of year again for Operation Christmas Child, my favorite mission opportunity. I'll put the link to it on the bottom of this post--they're really a magnificent organization. While I'm priding myself about fitting a toothbrush, toothpaste, mini slinky, brush, flashlight, candy canes, pencils and paper, soap, puzzle, and other assorted items into one cardboard box, OCC will add something far greater to my box when it reaches their packing plant: hope. Into every shoebox is placed a storybook about Jesus that has been translated into whatever language the child speaks. Someday I think I'd like to be on the other end of OCC. I can't say that missions is my first love (I've always believed that my ministry is my writing) but I would like to go with OCC and deliver the boxes at some point. It is something that I feel quite strongly about.

I wish people could have mutual respect for one another....but it's enormously funny when they get put in their place. Sam was shooting off his mouth again in Effie's World. We'd been having a vote on whether to have our day off this week or next week. I would have preferred this week, but one of the softball girls leaned over and told me that if the day off was next week, people could go home for Thanksgiving. So I voted for next week. Anyway, after Effie had asked about fourteen times for people to raise their hands for specific issues, Sam hollers out, "Raise your hand if you voted for Obama!" The softball girl that had talked to me earlier looked over at Sam with upraised eyebrows and said, very coolly, "You are so stupid."

I about had a coronary from sheer laughter. Which, come to think of it, isn't that bad a way to go.

I finished my emerald chenille scarf. It's very beautiful, and I'm quite desolate now that it's done. It was something to look forward to in the evenings. So I'll probably start making another one...after all, Christmas is coming! You can never have too many spare gifts.

I re-read one of my very favorite books this week. It's titled Daddy-Long-Legs and is by Jean Webster, the niece of Mark Twain. It tells of an orphan who is being sent to college by an unknown benefactor, whose only request is that the orphan write him letters once a month telling about the happenings of her daily life. The book is absolutely hysterical, and I've never come across anything that is so much like my own style. The heroine, Judy, so easily balances the satirical with the introspective. I was amazed upon this reading of the novel to find so many genuinely wise passages. I'll probably be quoting them to you for some time, so be prepared for that eventuality! For example, here is one of Judy's more sarcastic entries, speaking about her roommate, Julia: "Her mother was a Rutherford. The family came over in the ark, and were connected by marriage to Henry VIII. On her father's side they date back further than Adam. On the topmost branches of her family tree there's a superior breed of monkeys, with very fine silky hair and extra long tails."

However, Judy also wrote the following, which I found both true and memorable. "It's the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh--I really think that requires spirit. It's the kind of character that I am going to develop. I am going to pretend that all life is just a game which I must play as skillfully and fairly as I can. If I lose, I am going to shrug my shoulders and laugh--also if I win."

I suppose I had better close this rather rambling epistle now. Goodnight, all. I hope that you are well, no matter where in the world you are when you view this. Be glad for your overlarge fingers and laugh whether you win or lose!


0 comments: